Morrison Family Groups

morrisondna

Morrison Family Groups

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am

I am in the process of posting basic information for each of the Morrison, Gilmore, and McLemore DNA groups identified so far. Once basic info has been posted for each group, more detail will follow.

This process will take some time due to the number of groups involved. If no info has yet been posted for your group, please let me know and I will move it up on the list so that it is ready for your comments as soon as possible.

Edwin

D-Morrison

Re: Morrison Family Groups

Post by D-Morrison » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 am

Edwin,

We Morrisons should stay together as one big family, regardless of genealogical/genetic origin.

Wear the green tartan or wear the red tartan, whichever, but let us all remain as Morrisons.

Perhaps splintering Morrisons into genetic groups could be counterproductive, eh?

Doug

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Doug,

The intent of the DNA project is only to help those Morrisons who are interested in learning of their own personal family history. Even some of various genetic groups we have found sometimes share the same history and are only different due to an adoption or descent through a female line. Dr. Ru Morrison of Ruchdi remains the Chief of the Clan and Name of Morrison.

Edwin

D-Morrison

Post by D-Morrison » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Edwin, and to All,

Well, I have had the name of Morrison for nearly 60 years, so that is my name. Yet so many others also have the Morrison name, too. And so here we are. We all are Morrisons! OK, so maybe we could not so much be genetically related, but we all have had the Morrison name since time unknown.

So far, my closest genetic relatives are the Doherty family from the far north of Ireland, of County Donegal, but the surprise there is that the Doherty family might have originated in southwestern Scotland.

Oh, all of this genetic research can become a tangled mess!

Best,

Doug

WilMorr48

Post by WilMorr48 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:48 pm

I appear to be Morrison Group AR through Buffalo Shoals James (Jeames) Morrison and Morrison Group Q through his wife Mary, daughter of James (Blacksmith Jimmy) Morrison. All this is through general genealogy, not having taken the FamilyTreeDNA. I've just submitted the Ancestry DNA test (a gift from my daughter). Will this be of any use on this forum?
Best,
John

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:09 am

The AncestryDNA test is good for finding cousins back to about the 3rd or 4th cousin level. A Y-DNA test is best for researching your Morrison surname line. There are options for inexpensive Y-DNA tests through YSEQ.net .

Morrison-Q

Post by Morrison-Q » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 am

WilMorr48 wrote:I appear to be Morrison Group AR through Buffalo Shoals James (Jeames) Morrison and Morrison Group Q through his wife Mary, daughter of James (Blacksmith Jimmy) Morrison. All this is through general genealogy, not having taken the FamilyTreeDNA. I've just submitted the Ancestry DNA test (a gift from my daughter). Will this be of any use on this forum?
Best,
John
John - if you have not yet done so, you should check out http://Morrison-Q.com
Coit R. Morrison
Group Q - M32
FTDNA Kit #32434
Morrison-Q-DF41 Project Administrator
http://FamilyTreeDNA.com/public/Morrison-Q-DF41
http://Morrison-Q.com