Cap badges.

ambladier
Site Admin
Location: Atlanta, Ga area, within the Occupied Territories of the Confederate States of America

Cap badges.

Post by ambladier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm in the process of writing a paper on heraldry for the Clan Society and am looking for some images of the cap badges people were wearing before there was a recognized chief. I've heard of at least 2 variations, one using 3 heads, and one using a snake, but I've never actually seen them. If anyone still has one of these could you take a picture and post it please?

Regards
Chris
Chris Gillmore

Jim in NM

Re: Cap badges.

Post by Jim in NM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Here's one version of the 3 head badge. Ailean Morrison McDavid (daughter of Col. Alan Morrison) spotted it in the antique section of a vendor display in Albuquerque last year. It matched one she was wearing that dated from the 1940's. From the clasp design and markings, this one is probably of that time period as well.
badge, 3 head.jpg
3 head badge

ambladier
Site Admin
Location: Atlanta, Ga area, within the Occupied Territories of the Confederate States of America

Post by ambladier » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 am

Cool. Thanks.
Chris Gillmore

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:17 am

The design of the heads is very interesting. They look more like Roman soldiers than "saxon" warriors with flowing hair and beards.
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA

Jim in NM

Post by Jim in NM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Rich Lovell, our NW Seneschal also has a couple of these three head badges. He sent the pics last year when we were putting together the on-line Conveners pack. I don't have source info for these.
Crest Prudentia Praestat.JPG
Three head 1
Crest Praetio Prudentia Prestat.JPG
Three head 2

ambladier
Site Admin

Post by ambladier » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks Jim.

Has anyone seen any of the ones using a snake as the crest? In an old discussion on tartans.com someone from Australia had mentioned them.
Chris Gillmore

AlexanderWMorrison48

Post by AlexanderWMorrison48 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:59 am

Hi Chris,
I have posted a paper in the Folklore topic area (The Morrison name, tartan and badge- a study of mythology.pdf) which raises the issue of Morrison badges. If you scroll down the paper you will see a photo of the badge featuring the 3 Moors heads and a description of its origin. As for the snake I must admit to not having heard of it.
Cheers,
Alex.

ambladier
Site Admin

Post by ambladier » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:39 am

I was already reading the paper. ;)

Thanks.
Chris
Chris Gillmore

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:20 am

According to The Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands by Frank Adams and Innes of Learney the Serpent Proper was/is the crest of Morison of Bognie.
Alex/Alastair
Top.jpg
Serpent Crest

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 am

In my files, I have a fairly recent letterhead with Morison of Bognie arms on it. When I locate it, I'll let you know about the crest.

ambladier
Site Admin

Post by ambladier » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks Alex and Edwin.

Mainly what I'm looking for though are pictures of the actual badges, in part to see if they actually matched the blazons of the crests from other known Morrison heraldic achievements or not. I'm also curious to see how many variations were out there in the past.

Regards
Chris Gillmore

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Chris,

I must pass on this one. I doubt that there was ever a clan badge for this as it is part of a personal coat-of-arms and I don't think the Bognie Morisons ever thought in terms of clanship etc.

Alastair/Alex

ambladier
Site Admin

Post by ambladier » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Alex,

I'd tend to agree. But I remember on the old tartans.com forums we had someone from Australia mention that some people there were using a badge with a snake crest in the past prior to Dr John being recognized as chief. However I can't recall if he mentioned what motto was used. Morrison of Bognie possibly may not have been aware or even involved in their creation. There have been instances in the past where when no chief and no chiefly arms were known for a clan, individuals on their own, or on behalf of a clan society, simply created a badge to use. I would assume for no more reason than not wishing to be the only group at the games without a badge on their bonnets...which is understandable. lol,

Chris
Chris Gillmore

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Chris,

Sounds very likely, and he or she may have got the idea of a snake from the same source that I did.

Alex

ambladier
Site Admin

Post by ambladier » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Alexander wrote:Chris,

Sounds very likely, and he or she may have got the idea of a snake from the same source that I did.

Alex
Yep. Very likely. lol
Chris Gillmore

IanB

Post by IanB » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Chris,

I don't know if you are still working on your paper. If so, this might be of interest

www.clanmorrison.com.au/tartans-and-badges

IanB

rlovell22

Post by rlovell22 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Please note the different cap badges that Jim forwarded. The one with the belt tucked inside came from my mother who was a Gilmore. The one with the belt flipped outside was from an antique store, in a wooden box.
The Order of the Garter has the circled belt tucked inside, and I have heard that it is the ONLY one to have the 'tuck in".

I have looked at the Pretio Prudentia Praestat and found:
Prudence is better than riches Washbourne
prudence is better than profit Elwin
Prudence excels reward Fairbain

Our Banner has the crest and next to it is CIREAN CEANN CINNIDH (Gaelic for The crest shown is for the Chief / Head of the Clan)

Any thoughts, anyone?

georgeetta

Post by georgeetta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:29 pm

our prud-/ ..praestat badge is about size of a quarter less than a 50 cent piece ..given by granda to ma ..and likely about 50 or more years old ..he happened across ..silver I'd say .

I'd heard in descriptions "SARACENS" (Holy lands) and "MOORS" (wars with spain also during the Crusades) ..I think it meant some allegiance to the ideal of the righteousness of the Crusades .

outside that 1 thing ..everything I've seen was for Lewis Morrisons ..the armed hand (knife) and "sea girt castle" ..very nice ..Castle Eystein ..Hugh's castle ..who was Hugh ! ..and older Morrison or ..a castle taken over by others ..as a local ..refuge ..NOW THE CASTLE EYSTEIN PROJECT .

..as elsewhere stated ..I seem to be emerging from maybe Morrisons who sprang out of the Buchanans ..after 1600 or earlier ..they had a long run of Maurice(s) ..I don't know where I'll end up ..for now rules say we are under the MORRISON CLAN group ..and if I am wrong -sorry ..will be a subset (or sept ?) with maybe a "sub"-chief under the more Senior/Celebrated line .

I have grown up with the OLD blue green black and red stripe ..I'd like to see what gets written up for the ORIGINS of Lanarkshire Morrisons ..which show 3500 folks and where they came from !?!

:)

dave

Colin Bengert

Post by Colin Bengert » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:17 am

I know this is necro posting but here is a picture of the snake badge. It's was my Nan's. She was a Morison.
20150801_210303.jpg