Lewis Morrisons

szantello

Lewis Morrisons

Post by szantello » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am

My Mother is Julia Morrison and my Grandfather is James Albert Morrison. I was told family stories as a child one of which included being told that we were of the line of the Morrison's of Lewis. When I go to search for this and try and find any information on my family I am coming up with the story that talks about the Lewis Morrison's "falling from the pages of history" after the 1600s. I am just curious if the Clan has any information on this part of the Morrison clan and if there is a way for me to document that I am from this line? Genealogy and my families history are very important to me so thank you for your time!

morrisondna

Re: Lewis Morrisons

Post by morrisondna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Y-DNA testing is a good way to learn more about whether your Morrison line connects with known Morrison lines from Lewis. Many do not, but descend from families in central Scotland or Aberdeenshire.

Felix_W_Morrison+01

Re: Lewis Morrisons

Post by Felix_W_Morrison+01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm

The advice the Morrison DNA Project Administrator gave you is excellent. He gave me the same advice and I followed it.
The scenario you describe is best summed-up by a quote from the Morrison Clan page of GeoCities.com :

After the dissolution of the Lordship of the Isles in 1493, life in the Hebrides, including Lewis, became much more turbulent and violent. At the end of a series of inter-clan struggles extending back for more than 100 years, the Chief of the Clan Morrison and his six closest male relatives were murdered by the Chief of the MacLeods, who obtained letters of fire and sword against the Morrisons from King James VI. The Clan Morrison was thus broken, and remained so for more than 300 years.

Having gone through the same frustration; I sympathize with you.

Felix (Fil) Morrison