Morrison

wenmars

Morrison

Post by wenmars » Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Following the DNA trail on family tree dna, I have discovered that my brother's DNA is a very close match with Cathal Crovdearg O'Conor, who was a King of Connacht, Ireland in the 12th century, who descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages brother, Brion, who was also a King of Connacht in 6th century.

I have been long trying to connect the dots and thus far believe that our Morrison surname most likely derived from a brother, uncle, or son of Cathal named Muirgius or Muireadach. The Morrison family that held the Miosach relic of St. Columbkille in the area of Clonmany, Inishowen, Donegal most likely were related to some of the clergy in that area as there were many with the Morrison surname, although spelled ten million different ways.

My ancestor was born in Ireland and immigrated to Saint John, NB, CAN about 1827. Don't know where in Ireland but no matter how long it takes, I will keep searching for the connection to our progenitor.

morrisondna

Re: Morrison

Post by morrisondna » Sat May 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Congratulations on the DNA link. Maybe by comparing the surnames and histories of some of your closest Y-DNA matches, you will be able to find some close matches who share recent history in Co. Donegal.

Edwin