A Glossary

Glenham

A Glossary

Post by Glenham » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 am

In 1994 I published a history of my own Morrison line as I knew it at that time. In it included about a section as an appendix, some 18 pages of Morrison "Clan History" written in 1977 by Norman Mackay, a geography teach in Stornoway. Norman had written this history in a series of five letters to a cousin of mine in 1977, and graciously edited my transcriptions and gave me permission to include them in my book, "The Morrisons, They Came to The Land That Hudgin Drains". published in 1994. Norman is no longer living but I have maintained contact with his wife who still lives in Stornoway. Norman's grandmother was a Morrison and he married a Morrison from a different line, hence his interest in Morrison history.
At the end of that "Clan History" there were a couple of pages of Scottish terms that Norman Mackay (pronounced "mac eye") had used and titled as his "Glossary". I would be glad to share those here, Edwin, if you think it appropriate for this forum. It is material that I is published under my copyright. I will give you just a few of examples from his alphabetical listing:
Domhnull Cam -- One-eyed Donald, pronounced approximately "Dole Cawm" ("a" as in "cat").
Dubh -- Swarthy and dark, pronounced approximately "do" (short "O" as in "Boot"
Lochlan -- Gaelic name for Norway.
MacGillemhoire -- Morrison in Gaelic. Pronounced mac-gille-voore
Let me know what you think.
Glenn

morrisondna

Re: A Glossary

Post by morrisondna » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:59 am

Glenn,

Yes, please do share. There are certain Clan Morrison Gaelic terms we could use a pronunciation guide on as well. Here are two:

Teaghlach Phabbay
Dun Eistein

Any takers?

Edwin

Glenham

Post by Glenham » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:03 am

Glossary

Alexander III -- Last King of Scotland before King Robert the Bruce.

Applecross -- Area on west coast of County of Ross and Cromarty in the Highlands of Scotland.

Ardnamurchan -- A rugged peninsula on the west coast of the county of Inverness -- shire. Originally belonged to the Clan Macdonald.

Broch -- Large dun. Scots word equivalent of burgh as in e.g. Edinburgh.

Cape Wrath -- Most north-westerly point on Scottish Mainland.

Clann na Brietheimh -- The Family of the Brieve. Pronounced "Clan ni Brieve"

Cnoc na Croiche -- Pronounced none the less as written. Final "e" is silent.

Domhnull Cam -- One-eyed Donald, pronounced approximately "Dole Cawm" ("a" as in "cat").
Dubh -- Swarthy and dark, pronounced approximately "do" (short "O" as in "Boot"
Dun -- Early stone fort build in prehistoric times but used in historic times for defensive purposes. Pronounced "Doon".

Dun Bhil -- Pronounced "Doon Veel".

Dun Eistein -- Pronounced "Doon Aye - stein".

Dun Othail -- Pronounced "Doon Oh - hal"

Gaelic -- The ancient language of Scotland and Ireland. It is a Celtic tongue and is still quite widely spoken in the Outer Hebrides, along with English. The Gaelic languages spoken in N.W. Scotland and W. Ireland are very similar but were even more akin until about the 16th Century. Other languages derived from the same Celtic source are Welsh, Breton, and the ancient tongues of Cornwall and the Isle of Man.

Hebrides -- The Western Isles of Scotland. Divided into Inner and Outer Hebrides. Pronounced Heb-rid-ies. Adj.-- Hebridean.

Islay -- One of the most southerly of the Inner Hebrides.

Isle of Man -- Island in the Irish Sea. Once part of the Kingdom of Scotland, and seat of the Norse Kings when they ruled the Hebrides 'till 1266.

Isle of Pabbay -- Island off S.W. Harris. Originally fortified.

Isle of Skye -- Largest island in the Inner Hebrides.

Kintyre -- Along peninsula in the south of the county of Argyll. Originally Macdonald territory.

Lochlan -- Gaelic name for Norway.

MacGillemhoire -- Morrison in Gaelic. Pronounced mac-gille-voore

Mealrubha -- Christian Saint who spread Christianity throughout many parts of the Highlands. Pronounced Meal - roo - ah.

Morison -- Originally the name had only one letter "r". (Rarely used to¬day)

Mull of Kintyre -- Southern tip of Kintyre Pennisula of county of Argyll.

Og -- Young, pronounced "awk"

O'Muirghesain -- Pronounced O'Moor - is - an.

Ord of Caithness -- Headland and hill on east-coast of county of Caithness

Outer Isles -- The Outer Hebrides of which the largest island is Lewis.

Ross -- Ancient Earldom covering much of the present day Highlands of Scotland. Very warlike in olden times.

Seannachies -- Pronounced "shennachies". Bards, historians and story-- tellers to the clan chiefs of old.

Siol Thorquil -- The seed of offspring of Torquil, pronounced "Shill Horkill"

Sir Robert Gordon -- Wrote, about middle of seventeenth century, a history of Clan Sutherland, to the chief of whom he was related.

Sula Sgeir -- Pronounced "Sula Scare".

Sutherland -- Most northerly county on Scottish Mainland

The Fife Adventurers -- a group of men from Fife

Tigh Mor -- The Big House. Pronounced approximately "Tie More".

Tigh nan Arm -- Pronounced "Tie nan Arm".

The Lews -- An archaic spelling of Lewis. Occasionally used today.

The Long Island -- The Isle of Lewis and the Isle of Harris. Actually one island, Lewis in the north; Harris in the south.

The Minch -- the stormy channel of sea between Lewis and the Scottish mainland.

Tormod -- Gaelic name for Norman, pronounced approximately "Taramod".

Torquil Oighre -- Torquil the Heir. Pronounced approximately Torkill
Eye-ri ("i" as in "tin").

Uig -- A district of western Lewis.

Uigeach -- a man from Uig, pronounced approximately "Oogyach".

Developed My Norman Mackay, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland and sent to Morrison McClatchy in Missouri in 1977; later, was published with Norman Mackay’s permission, by Glenn Morrison in The Morrisons, They Came To The Land That Hudgin Drains in 1994. This book, ISBN 0-9640081-0-6, is out of print but available is several genealogy libraries in Georgia, Arkansas and Texas. Copyright 1994.
As you can see, Norman was as interested in geography as he was in linguistics! Enjoy, Glenn Morrison

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:15 am

I'll take you up, Edwin!

"Teaglach Phabbay" (Family of Pabbay) is "Chell-ack Fuppy". Gaelic is so wonderful!

"Dun Eistein" is combined Gaelic and Norse("Hugh's Fort"); Glenn gave the pronunciation in his second post.

In Ness, Lewis it's spelled "Dún Eistean" (Gaelic only) and pronounced "Jun Esh-ten".
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA

Glenham

Post by Glenham » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:14 pm

I bounced Edwin's question off a friend of mine who lives in Tarbert, Isle of Harris. She is Fiona Morrison (Wife of Angus) who serves as the school librarian there, I believe. Angus teaches also. Here is her answer:
Meaning:

teaghlach = family

Pabaigh = Pabbay (the island of Pabbay)

teaghlach Phabaigh therefore = "Pabbay family"/"family of Pabbay"

As for pronunciation:

teaghlach is pronounced approximately "TCHOW-lach" (that is, TCH as in maTCH; the "a" in the second, unstressed syllable is perhaps more like "uh" than a distinct "a")

Pabaigh is just PAbbay

Phabaigh, the aspirated form of Pabaigh, is pronounced FAbbay (ph=f, just as in English).

IanB

Post by IanB » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:31 pm

OK, Edwin, here is my two-cents worth:

"Eistein" was a common Norse name, and I do not believe it translates to Hugh/Uisdean, despite the similarity of pronunciation of the latter. "Eistean", which is a fairly recent spelling, is, I believe a Gaelic corruption/back-spelling. With regard to pronunciation, about 10 years ago, I spent some time discussing this with an elderly gentleman in Habost and the closest I can come to his way of saying it is Doon Eyesh-jen, except that the "d" has a bit more frontal sound than it does in English. It is much more easily pronounced after refreshments.

Ian

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:00 am

Hi, Ian

I would pay at least a nickel (5 cents) for your contribution. My experiences in Ness, Lewis indicate that Gaelic pronunciation tends to be "Speaker's Choice"! I heard the late Chief, Iain Morrison, pronounce the motto "Chell-ach Fuppy" and Andrew Dunrossil, too. That's good enough for me.

Bob Morrison
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA