Group Z Origins

Lanarkshire, Scotland, and County Down, N. Ireland
morrisondna

Group Z Origins

Post by morrisondna » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Group Z is a Scots Irish Morrison family that settled in County Down. The family is also known to have had a presence in Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland, and that may be original seat of the family.

georgeetta

Re: Group Z Origins

Post by georgeetta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

as in moved to the ulster plantations for land ?

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:42 am

Presumably. James Hamilton was a large figure in the Plantation of the North of Ireland, and many Lanarkshire families were recruited for settlement there.

lizzie3622

Post by lizzie3622 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:03 am

Hello!!

I have just joined the Morrison DNA project, with my father's DNA sample, and we have been added to Group Z (M410). I am interested in learning about the family's origins and how my family line fits into the larger family. I can, currently, trace my father's line to William Morrison, born 1887 in Staten Island, New York, USA. His father may be William or Robert, and may have been born in New York or Ireland. Does anyone have information about the family in New York, or how this line may have come from Ireland to America? I would really appreciate any help or advice!

Thank you,
Elizabeth Morrison

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 am

Elizabeth, I suggest that a good starting point would be to e-mail your Morrison matches in the FTDNA matches report. You may find some clues there, or some of your matches may have come across your line in their own research. With the possible late arrival in New York and with a presence in New York and Boston, some of this family may have come to America due to the Irish potato famine.

Edwin