Robert Morrison b. 30 May 1764 NH/MA

broughps

Robert Morrison b. 30 May 1764 NH/MA

Post by broughps » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Looking for the parents of Robert Morrison b. 30 May 1764 probably NH though the last census he's recorded on says MA. Robert died 19 Mar 1857, Peru, Clinton Co. NY. Robert married 30 May 1793 Henniker, Hillsborough Co. NH, Elizabeth Rice b. 19 Feb 1768 Westboro, Worcester Co. MA, d. 14 Feb 1836 Peru, Clinton Co. NY. Elizabeth was the daughter of Daniel Rice and Elizabeth Childs.

In the 1790 census for Henniker NH I found an Abraham Morrison listed with 3 male persons over the age of 16. He's listed just up a few lines from Daniel Rice father of Elizabeth. Could this Abraham Morrison be Robert's father. I don't find Abraham in the 1800 census for Henniker NH or Stoddard NH where Robert is living in 1800. I do however find, I believe them to be Robert's brothers all born between 1755 and 1774, Abraham, John and Samuel Morrison.

I've seen online, but with no sources, Robert being the son of Abraham Morrison b. 19 May 1731 Londonderry, Rockingham Co. NH. d. aft 1797 Henniker, Hillsborough Co. NH, married to Elizabeth (last name unkown and I've also seen her as Elizabeth Jackson). Abraham and Elizabeth were married about 1755 in Londonderry NH. This Abraham is suppose to be the son of Samuel Morrison and Martha Henry (which is a line that doesn't make sense datewise).

And yes I know that Henniker is not in Hillsborough anymore but it was back when my Morrisons were residing there.

Any help will be appreciated.

broughps

Re: Robert Morrison b. 30 May 1764 NH/MA

Post by broughps » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Found a pension file for John Morrison b. ca. 1762. He was a Revolutionary War soldier. In a letter written by John he lists brothers Samuel (also a Rev. War soldier who settled in Petersborough, Hillborough Co. NH), David (a Rev. War soldier), Robert (who lived in Peru, NY my connection), Andrew (who along with Robert were never in the army and who settled in Jackson, PA).

I found online in a History of Petersborough, NH a Samuel Morrison, who was a Rev. War soldier, married to Susannah Robbe and the son of Plato Morrison. Is this Samuel the brother of John above?

And has anyone heard of a Plato Morrison? Could Plato be a nickname?

All help is appreciated.

morrisondna

Re: Robert Morrison b. 30 May 1764 NH/MA

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 am

Have you seen Leonard Morrison's book on the Morrison family? Much of the book is on descendants of Samuel and David Morrison of Londonderry, NH. There is also a book called Scotch Irish Pioneers that has information on an Abraham Holmes of Aghadowey, Northern Ireland, who was married to a sister of Samuel and David Morrison. A person who traces descent from these Morrisons in listed in Group A of the Morrison DNA Project, some of whose members trace to the Lowland Scots settlement at Campbeltown, Kintyre. The Leonard Morrison book says that Abraham Morrison had descendants, but does not trace them. I descend from this Holmes family, but not these Morrisons.

Edwin