Francis Lewis Morrison-Mystery Man

Felix_W_Morrison+01

Francis Lewis Morrison-Mystery Man

Post by Felix_W_Morrison+01 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Francis Lewis Morrison; mystery man. I have been looking and researching every Morrison I can find electronically for 7 years. Rhode Island Morrisons, New York Morrisons, Pennsylvania Morrisons, Maryland Morrisons, West Virginia Morrisons, Delaware Morrisons, Virginia Morrisons, North Carolina Morrisons, and I still have not ascertained who his parents were, or where specifically he was born.
US Census records have him born in Pennsylvania. His birth date was 1817, and his death in Baltimore was in 1892. He is not one of the Pennsylvania Guyon Morrison sons, or grandsons named Francis. He married Ellen M MacKenzie in Maryland in 1847. To confuse matters more his first son, James Andrew Morrison was born in 1840 in Ellicott's Mills, Md. Ellen didn't arrive in the US until 1844; yet is listed as his mother - again, on US Census forms.
So its seems Francis Lewis is not only a mystery man, he has created a few mysteries as well.
I am now 70 years old. I hope I resolve this before I too am a statistic. If you can help solve this mystery I really would appreciate it.

morrisondna

Re: Francis Lewis Morrison-Mystery Man

Post by morrisondna » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 am

Felix, a good first step would be a Y-DNA test. There were a lot of different Morrison families in Pennsylvania, and most of them are represented in the Morrison DNA Project. A match would allow you to focus your research. Tests are available from FTDNA and YSEQ. I would be glad to work with you on this.

Edwin Holcombe
Administrator, Morrison DNA Project

Felix_W_Morrison+01

Post by Felix_W_Morrison+01 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 am

I did the Morrison Family DNA Project test in 2014 at your suggestion. My Y DNA Haplogroup is G-M 201. No matches to date. I am a life member of the Clan Morrison Society. I am still hopeful to find a match, or matches.
I know the G Group has a history of matches to Harris and Lewis; although G-M201 is not prevalent. Perhaps time will provide the link.
Thanks for your reply.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 am

Felix, Haplogroup G is very old and widespread, but also rare. This results in few matches to work with, but also means any matches you find are more likely to be meaningful. With no STR matches at 37 markers, you can look at the surnames you match at 25 markers to see if they offer any clues as to names that may have been associated with your family in the past couple of hundred years by marriage, as neighbors, etc. For example, were any of these families in Pennsylvania or Maryland associated with a Morrison family? Since James Andrew was born before Francis's marriage to Ellen, is it possible that James Andrew was a nephew of Francis who was raised as his son? Or maybe a son of an earlier wife who was raised as his own? Did Francis have any other sons who left descendants and whose DNA can be compared? Also, it would be a good idea to join the Haplogroup G Uncategorized project at FTDNA to see the other surnames you get grouped with there.

Felix_W_Morrison+01

Post by Felix_W_Morrison+01 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for all of your advice. I have successfully resolved the mysteries and issues I had with Francis Lewis Morrison. Subsequently, I have been able to trace the rest of the lineage back to Ewen Morrison, " The Piper in Lewis" 1474-1521. Thanks again.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Excellent!