Morrison's in New England

paternalmorrison

Morrison's in New England

Post by paternalmorrison » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Greetings!

My paternal Grandfather was a Morrison, and came from a very large Catholic family that still resides throughout New England; particularly New Hampshire.

Unfortunately, I do not have contact with them, so I have no way to trace our lineage......THAT way.

What I DO know, is that our family has been in the US, and in New England, since Native Americans inhabited the area, and my Grandfather referenced a bloodline.

He also referred to us as "Black Irish", which my mother told me meant "Scotch-Irish"; however, I have since found little to any evidence to back that explanation up.

Personally, in addition to his decent, I also carry German and Italian lineage. I am darker haired, with nearly black eyes and olive skin tone. HE was of moderate skin tone (did not burn, but got freckles); brownish hair, and hazel eyes. We ALL carry the same nose. Even my children. Small and slightly upturned at the end.

I am hoping that ANYBODY can help me identify the area that we might be from. He said Irish. I thing Scottish. Just a "gut feeling", so to say.

I found one person had commented on a book about early Scotch-Irish that settled in New England.....has anybody read this text?

Thank you, ever so much, for any help!

Jessica

morrisondna

Re: Morrison's in New England

Post by morrisondna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:01 am

Hi, Jessica,

There were several Morrison families who settled in New Hampshire in the early 1700's. Most of these Morrisons were Presbyterians, but that could have changed over the generations. Do you have any more specific information on where your grandfather's family lived or the names of any Morrisons in his line farther back? That would be a good place to start. Leonard Morrison's book on the Morrison family has extensive coverage of the early New England Morrison families and is available online. Here is a link:

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... kaAAAAIAAJ

Edwin

georgeetta

Post by georgeetta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 pm

black irish in our family ..dad being so dark ..meant ..irish with spanish blood in them .

I knew there were Hampshire Morrisons ..in 1600's ..I thought Ulstermen ..what I call Scotch-Irish .

My history teacher in High school called the Scotch Irish ..the Invaders of /or invited settlers Argyll invited by the Picts about 600 .

georgeetta

Post by georgeetta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 pm

okay 2nd try

MORRISONS ARE ALL OVER SCOTLAND AND LIKELY UNRELATED .

Lewis Morrisons are Viking were driven off the island by MacLeods about 1600 to the MacKay area maybe MacKenzies .
The were also a judge called Breiff ..which was ended.

Irish O'Muichesains got into Harrris below Lewis and linked with ..Macleods .

Ghillemoires ..Gilmers were likely Catholics of a Harris chapel of St Mary's they were called Gilmer's the story goes ..

Morrison of Bognie bought a property in Aberdeen about 1600-1700.

Morrisons below Loch Lomond may have likely Been Buchanans in 2 groups about 1600's . Likely were Presbyterians .

Scots going to Scottish Plantations in Ulster likely or had to be Presbyterians . Under ..Queen Elizabeth's time forward .

Morrisons of Perth ? I have no idea -I know my Granda said the 3 headed badge was all he knew but was no historian .

many say Maurice was general name ..and son was attached to it ..anywhere !

I have heard Morrison meant "swarthy" ..dark skinned ..but Picts were dark ..

good luck !

th
d

I'd check all ..military new Hampshire pre and post revolutionary war especially French indian war and ..local militia's also King Phillip's War ..manuscripts ..War fo 1812 vets or rolls ..called "Muster rolls" ..

th
d

georgeetta

Post by georgeetta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:55 pm

John Wayne was named Marion Morrison ..

likely an O'Muirchesain from Ireland . later as O'Morrison ..

also to stink the milk ..now they get into this Gallogly folk ..Gallowglas .

the Gallowglas were mercenaries ..and after Bruce one ..his enemies had to get out of town ..so they left Scotland and went to Ireland ..and I'm sure the bigger guys took what they wanted ..

the pre 1300 regular Irishman ..might have been well smaller than the ..incoming Gallowglas ..

to me the worst thing you could tell an Irish American ..me being 1 sort of ..is the main reason they're big is thru Scottish genetic engineering ..of Vikings and Picts and Ulster folk ! I can hear the clanging already !

:)
d