Morrison Surname Distribution in Britain

morrisondna

Morrison Surname Distribution in Britain

Post by morrisondna » Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Here is an interesting link that shows concentration of Morrisons in 1881. The dots are shown at the county seat, so are not where you would expect. I believe Lewis is included in Ross and Cromarty, above Inverness, and Harris is included in Inverness-shire, with a dot at Inverness.

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/surname/morrison/map

The link can be used with other surnames as well by substituting the surname in the URL.

Edwin

Alexander

Re: Morrison Surname Distribution in Britain

Post by Alexander » Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Very interesting site, Edwin. Thanks. I see Banffshire is well represented.

Alex

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Yes, Banffshire and Aberdeen. Also a scattering around the country, Oban, Ayrshire, Galloway areas. I would like to see one of these for 1750, before so much population shift to the cities.

IanB

Post by IanB » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:03 am

It would appear that the size of the "dot"reflects the percentage of Morrisons in the total population?

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 am

I had a look at the website with the distribution maps.

It always pays to note the notes! In the "1881" map, the dots represent the population as recorded in the 1881 Census in the Counties as they were in that year. The two large dots in the north represent Invernes Shire and Ross and Cromarty (one shire or "county"). Lewis was part of Ross and Cromarty; Harris was in Inverness Shire. The enumerated populations were probably heavily skewed to Lewis and Harris.

If you go to the web site and "hover" over the dot you will see the raw numbers.

Bob Morrison
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA