Group T Origins

Isles of Lewis and Harris and Glenelg, Scotland; Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina
morrisondna

Group T Origins

Post by morrisondna » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Group T is a Hebridean Morrison family with a number of representatives in the Southern US through Gaelic-speaking settlers who came to the area of the Cape Fear River in NC in the early to middle 1700s. One branch of the family migrated to Victoria, Australia. Some of the family trace to the Isle of Lewis and Harris while others are from Glenelg, on the mainland of Scotland just opposite the Isle of Skye. The haplogroup for these Morrisons is R-SRY10831.2 (aka R1a1), which is a strong indicator of Viking ancestry.

Glenham

Re: Group T Origins

Post by Glenham » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 am

I am inclined to believe the common denominator for our group of Morrisons was the Macleods of Dunvegan whose span of land included additional islands and land on the mainland at Glenelg. For example, when in James Morrison, "The Blind Harper", fell out of favor with the Macleod chief, he was "demoted" to a Macleod tack in Glenelg. This may have occurred at the time that harps were being replaced my bagpipes as the instrument of choice in Dunvegan..
There were multiple inter marriages between Morrisons and Macleods. For example, Alexander of Skinidin, the Macleod tacksman, who organized the 1772 emigration to NC was married to a Macleod and his mother was a Macleod. One of my old Angus's daughter's was married to a McLeod in NC. In addition, it seems the two families were fond of the same male and female names. Perhaps some of you know of other examples.
While none of this is "conclusive", it does merit consideration, in my opinion.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:37 am

I took a quick look at matches. I expected some McLeod matches, but did not see them. Ysearch matches are interesting, strung from the west coast of Scotland to Shetland to Norway and beyond. I'm sure there are some stories that could be told.

Edwin

Glenham

Post by Glenham » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 am

No McLeod matches? Good, that could mean that our Morrisons were able to give their sons their own names! This is fun!

Morrison_VIC _AU

Post by Morrison_VIC _AU » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:06 pm

G'day, From Victoria, Australia! ...I am not sure which group my ancestors are from but it is likely that we are descended from the family that came to Western Victoria, Australia.
Our family tree was traced back to a man named Norman Morrison from Glenelg; who was apparently a sheppard; it is likely they came over - if I am correct? as a result of the clearances?
and perhaps whole family on the highland emigrant ships to Western VIC, Australia (hope I have posted this in correct forum). We do not know what religious denomination he was or what Church he married in. Cheers from Melbourne AU!

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Welcome, Morrison_VIC, it would be easy to determine whether your line is part of Group T through an inexpensive SNP test. I'll be happy to provide more information if you are interested.

Edwin

Glenham

Post by Glenham » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Morrison, VIC, do you have an approximate year of your family's arrival in Australia? I have the impression it most likely they came after 1800. Nprman is a prominent name in my line as well. If you have not done the Y-DNA, please do so. Edwin will be able to steer you through the process.
Glenn