Group L Origins

Ayr and Lanarkshire, Scotland; Cos. Londonderry and Antrim, N. Ireland; and Londonderry, NH.
morrisondna

Group L Origins

Post by morrisondna » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Morrison Group L is a well-represented group in the US. Many descendants are descended from two well-documented Scots-Irish families, one that settled in Londonderry, New Hampshire, and another that settled in Pennsylvania. Published genealogies are available for both of these branches. Based on the Scots-Irish representation of the family, it seems likely that they were from the the Lowlands of Southwest Scotland. This is supported by the fact that the two branches of the family for which we have an actual home in Scotland are from Ayrshire and Lanarkshire. Leonard Morrison's book on the Morrison family speculated that the New Hampshire branch were possible from Aberdeenshire, but this seems less likely based on the other evidence we have.

jwolcott32

Re: Group L Origins

Post by jwolcott32 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Is there a way to look for DNA matches to L within Scotland, looking for a concentration? Has anyone done this?
:-)
Jennifer

morrisondna

Re: Group L Origins

Post by morrisondna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi, Jennifer,

Well, one way is for someone to take a handful of DNA test kits along on the next trip to Scotland and recruit local Morrisons there to participate in the DNA testing. I actually did that once several years ago, getting introductions to local Morrisons through B&B hosts, etc. Though I did not find matches to my own Morrisons in Scotland, I had a very good success rate in recruiting participants and found matches to various other groups, so it helped our project in general. I know there are at least one or two others who have done the same thing in a particular area of Scotland that they were researching.

It would also help us to have more participants from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, etc., where the move from Scotland might have occurred more recently and be easier to trace to a particular locale there. I encourage everyone to be on the lookout for potential participants in your travels.

Beyond that, matches or near matches with other surnames can be very helpful when these other surnames can be traced to a particular locale. There is a good discussion of this technique at www.scottishorigenes.com .

Edwin