Group J Origins

Isle of Harris, North Uist and Glenelg, Scotland
morrisondna

Group J Origins

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Group J is a large group of Hebridean Morrisons, including the family of the present Morrison chiefs and Lords Dunrossil. Note that Group J has several different Haplogroup designations listed, including R-M269, R-M310, R-P25, and R-L48. In most cases, these are nesting SNPs and some members have just tested to a more refined level than others. (These SNP tests are available from FTDNA a la carte as advanced tests.)

However, recently it has been determined that some members of Group J are positive for SNP L48 (L48+) while others are L48 negative. This indicates a more distant division among Group J families. Since the STR markers are so close for both L48+ and L48- members of the group, only further SNP testing can determine which members fall in which category. It is surprising to find that persons with such similar Y-DNA markers do not share this same SNP, which is estimated to be 3000 years old. This is an area for further investigation.

seven-nine

Re: Group J Origins

Post by seven-nine » Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Does anyone have any idea where L48 originated or how it got to the Western Isles? I would think that my mother's family of Morrisons would fall into this category, although none of my uncles or Morrison cousins have tested yet. My grandfather stated that he was related to Fear Ruchdi, of the lords Dunrossil, chief of the name.

morrisondna

Re: Group J Origins

Post by morrisondna » Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 am

Seven-nine, see the R1b-U106 DNA Project. You can Google it. Page 5 of the DNA results lists many L48 results with various origins. Further testing within the Morrison L48 group is needed to narrow down the matches to one of the L48 subclades. Newly available SNP Packs can simplify this process.