Joining the Forum

Banffshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland; North Carolina and Tennessee
Alexander

Joining the Forum

Post by Alexander » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 pm

I am delighted that Edwin and others have set up this Forum. Now I have joined I look forward to interesting conversations and learning more about the relationships and history of Group H and, in particular, H1 to which I belong.

Alexander

morrisondna

Re: Joining the Forum

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, Alexander. More to come.

Edwin

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Thank you Edwin.

Alexander

Ross

Post by Ross » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello Alexander,

I am also H1
Kit 195241 on the Morrison DNA project results page
http://morrisondna.x10.bz/morrison/publ ... roject.htm

At Edwin's suggestion, I just joined the L1335 SNP project at FamilyDNA hoping to learn more about Viking lineage, or any Morrison connections. Our genealogical records search encountered a brick wall at about 1810 Pennsylvania.

Posting for Ross by his wife (the genealogist in the family)
~Betsy

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:29 am

Hello Betsy, and it's nice to hear from you.

I'm glad to hear that Ross has followed Edwin's advice and is awaiting the result of the L1335 SNP test. I hope it is positive, which I think it will be, and that this will forge another link in the chain to his roots.

I'm sorry that you have hit a brick wall in 1810 but I am sure that your family originated in North East Scotland.

By the way, I don't think L1335 will give a Viking lineage as such but is more likely to be Pictish. If it is at least our ancestors fought the Romans to a standstill!! :D

Kind regards to you both,

Alex(ander)

jeffery

Post by jeffery » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello Alex and Betsy,
I am Jeff, I am M035 in H1. I have exchanged emails before with Alex in the past if I'm not mistaken. He has done great work tracing his line back which will help us all in this group. For that I say great job and thank you. Betsy I too have hit a brick wall here in the States around 1810. I hope we can all help each other in finding information in the histories of our extended family.

Jeff

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Hello Jeff,

Yes, we have spoken before on the old bulletin board - I called myself Alexander there, just to confuse things!

It is such a shame that you and Betsy have both hit brick-walls. Your ancestors were from North Carolina, weren't they, and I believe that was where the Highland Scots emigrated to, wasn't it? If so, perhaps there is some link there to Banffshire which is considered Highlands.

Great to speak again.

Alexander/Alastair

jeffery

Post by jeffery » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Hello Alex,

Yes the Patriarch (William) of my line so far was born in North Carolina per all census records I have found him in. There was a big Highland Scots population in North Carolina, and a lot of Morrisons in that state from other families. I have not found a tie in with any of the families. I am hoping with discussion between all of us on this board we can all start to tie all of our migrations of our group together. I love learning history and the most exciting history to me is that of those who passed their dna on to us!

Jeff

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 pm

I quite agree, Jeff, and it's great when you discover characterisitics that have passed down the generations; looks, personalities and even occupations.

What we need is others of H1 who hail from North Carolina to get talking. Come on Clan!

Alex

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 am

Jeff,

Do you have any information on where in North Carolina your William was born? I am involved with the Clan Society in the Carolinas and Georgia and know something about the various early Morrison families. Maybe I can help shift a log or two.

Alex,

Do you have any indication that one or more of Walter Morison's descendants emigrated to what is now the USA?

Jeff and Alex,

The two of you share marker counts of 23 at location 390 with two other project participants. Have you had any contact with them? One shows a link to Dysart (Fife), the other to Georgia (US).

Looking at the marker counts I think there is reason to look for a potential family link, probably in Scotland.

I am Kit 38651, M065 in Group L so I can't be of too much direct help!
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA

jeffery

Post by jeffery » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 am

Scot,
I do not know where in North Carolina William was born. I have him earliest in Jasper County moving to Jones County Georgia which are next to each other. I did exchange emails with the other Morrison from Georgia in group H. He is a generation earlier to me and closer to Alex who I would put in the same generation. I hope he finds this board and exchanges any information he may have. Every bit of information helps no matter how small it may seem. I know of another line of Morrisons living close to my line in Georgia, I'm talking about less than ten miles, which I have researched and know they are not of my line. They came from South Carolina with names such as Daniel, Angus, and Hugh. My line holds the names of William, James, Robert, Joseph, and Thomas.

Thanks again, Jeff

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Bob,

Have been 'off-net' for a few days. Will reply properly in a day or so.

Alex

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Scot,

Thanks for your wise thoughts on our Group.

Walter Morison had 6 sons and 14 grandsons and I have not been able to trace them all. This would be a mammoth task (and v. expensive) but have concentrated for the most part on my own line. Although they were farmers or crofters, needing sons to work the land and pass the farms on to, it is very possible that one or two of Walter's grandsons may have sought a better life in the New World due to lack of opportunity in their own country.

I wish the other members of the Group would come on here and talk as I would love to compare notes with the other 23 at 390s at least. Apart from Jeff and Betsy there is a deafening silence. From my own point of view alone I would like to discuss the Dysart connection as I think it possible that my family, and perhaps Jeff's as well, could have come from Fife in the train of the Abercrombies. This family hailed from Abercromby in Fife and moved to Banffshire in the early 17th century.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts or advice on how to connect with other Group members.

Alex

Scot1949

Post by Scot1949 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:45 am

Alex, Jeff, Betsey/Ross

If you haven't already done so, go to your personal home page on familytreeDNA.com and look for your YDNA "matches". If you restrict your display option to members of the Morrison Project you should only see a few names. Eliminating the kit numbers you already know should help you focus on the other close matches. Send EMail to these people and hope they reply.

Best

Bob Morrison
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Well, I've emailed M392 and look forward to his reply but cannot locate who the other person was.

Alex

jeffery

Post by jeffery » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:29 am

Alex,
Have you got in touch with M392 yet? I may have found a paper trail connecting us in North Carolina through John Henry Morrison 1765 Fife SCOT to 1834 Rutherford NC USA. It appears in the 1810 US census he has a total of 7 sons 2 over 25 apparently from his first wife, it appears he had two. It would appear the timing could be right for one of those sons to be my William. Its the right location (NC) and the right time age wise for him to be born, 1810 - 25 yrs would put his birth around 1785 which is what we have estimated from all the US census records we have.

Thanks and hope all is well,
Jeff

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

No, I have not been in contact with M392. Your lead there looks very promising indeed and I think you ought to get hold of him. This could be yet another sign that we all in H came originally from Fife, don't you think? I will be very interested in the outcome.

All the best,

Alex

Ross

Post by Ross » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Alex, Jeff, Bob & all Group H Members,

Haven't looked at this thread all year because I save my genealogy research for the dead of winter…

I have posted information about our treetop ancestor here because it's public and eventually Google indexes it for searches: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 763&df=all&

I'll post more in the Ohio/Pennsylvania thread because it is intriguing. The origins in Fordyce makes sense too and Ross is L1335+ so I'll post in that thread too.

Hopefully we'll make some traction as a group. Getting records to prove lineage has been elusive so far but not discouraging.

~Betsy
Morrison family genealogist