Group H Origins

Banffshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland; North Carolina and Tennessee
morrisondna

Group H Origins

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Group H is a rather large group of Morrisons with origins in various places in the Northeast of Scotland. It is divided into several subgroups based on particular marker mutations (which are highlighted in contrasting colors on the project website). The larger subgroup is from Banffshire and Aberdeenshire, with smaller subgroups traced to Fife and Tennessee. Please note that larger groups such as these may not necessarily be recently related. Sometimes the Y-DNA STR (short tandem repeat) markers we use for defining these groups overlap among families that are only distantly related. The fact that there are geographical connections among the Morrisons in Subgroup H1, for instance, help us to know that these Morrisons are indeed from the same recent Morrison family. One member of Subgroup H1 has tested separately for the L1335 SNP and been found to be L1335+. There is a L1335 SNP project at FTDNA, and it would be good for other members of Group H to consider joining the L1335 project and possibly testing for this SNP. SNPs are rapidly becoming an important tool in confirming recent family connections, particularly in larger groups (i.e., more common Y-DNA signature groups), such as this one.

It should be noted that Aberdeenshire was one of the earliest areas in Scotland where the Morrison name is documented to have been used. The name is found as early as the 1400's.

AlexanderWMorrison48

Re: Group H Origins

Post by AlexanderWMorrison48 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:40 am

Hi all Group H,

There is strong evidence to suggest the early origins of the name Morrison are associated with Fife. Indeed my own family originates from the Kingdom of Fife although I note my Y-DNA line has been placed in Banffshire. Scottish records and the research by the distinguished linguist George F Black suggests the following regarding the association of the name in Fife: (George F Black: The Surnames of Scotland, Their Origin, Meaning, and History [first printed in 1946 at the New York Public Library]). Black notes that “Morrison” derives from “son of Maurice” (p612). Further, he states “Forms of Maurice (from Lat. Mauricius, ‘moorish’, the name of a saint martyred in 286AD)”... as introduced into Britain by the Normans among whom it was popular”. (p612). He traces the modern Morrison form to Latin documents in Glasgow in 1450 when the name was “Mauricii”. In 1463 he identifies Andreas Morison, a licentiate of law in St Andrews. In the sixteenth century Scots Guards records show the spelling as Maurieson. In Kirkcaldy in 1540 Moresone, and later Moresoune, Moriesone and Moriesoun, were alternative spellings. Other interesting variations are found in Aberdeen in 1448 as Mwryson, and 1448 in Kirkcaldy as Murysone (p621).
In terms of the Old Parish Records (OPRs) held by the Scottish Records Office in Edinburgh the name Morrison is recorded in Fife before any of the other recordings of the name. Scanning through the Fife OPRs, the oldest entry for a Morrison was in 1577 when a Robert Morrison recorded the birth of a daughter Janet in Kinghorn. The first recorded marriage was 1629 for a Barbara Morrison (Morisone) in Dunfermline, and the first recorded death was for Barbara Morrison in Dunfermline in 1636, seven years after her marriage. This record predates other early recordings held in the Scottish Registry Office which include Edinburgh 1565, Perth 1572, Aberdeen 1573, Stirling 1587, Angus 1589, Dundee 1645, Stornaway 1784 and Harris 1823.

Cheers, Alex Morrison.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:39 am

Great stuff, Alex, and I think you could well be right about the Fife origin.

Alastair (Alex as well but will reverts my other name Alastair to avoid confusion!)

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun May 11, 2014 9:50 am

Have you checked your new Family Finder Origins on FTDNA? I am 100% European according to this - surprise, surprise!!

Alex/Alastair

jeffery

Post by jeffery » Sun May 11, 2014 5:03 pm

My 25 mark and 37 mark show nothing but United Kingdom via Scotland and strong North Ireland. This makes me more curious about a Dal Riada connection we may hold.

Jeff

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Jeff,

Yes, I don't know whether we are Dalriada or Pict - perhaps a bit of both. I am not very impressed with the Family Finder Origins which only shows, for me, European, which is pretty obvious.

Alex

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Mon May 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Alex,

These population finder origin reports are interesting as a curiosity, but I think we've seen too many revisions to them over recent years for them to be more than that. Of course, these reports are for overall autosomal DNA, so have nothing to do with a particular surname line for most people. I suppose an exception would be if someone was looking for the ethnicity of a very recent unknown ancestor, but that is a specialized case.

Interestingly, this type of report seems to be a big selling point for Ancestry.com's AncestryDNA test. Population finder reports to make nice graphics.

Edwin