Group G Origins

Ness, Isle of Lewis, and Isle of Harris, Scotland
morrisondna

Group G Origins

Post by morrisondna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 am

Group G is one of our Morrison family groups that has a clear connection with the Island of Lewis and Harris. Their Haplogroup, which is an indicator of prehistoric ancestry, is I-M253. This is an indication of Viking ancestry in the paternal line. The more recent genealogical ancestry of members of Group G trace back through various lines to Lewis and Harris.

morrisondna

Re: Group G Origins

Post by morrisondna » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Anyone actively researching Group G Morrisons of Ness, Isle of Lewis, please contact me for more info on recent Ness Morrison genealogies.

Edwin

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm doing research for a friend. His mother is a Morrison. Since he is a male and his Morrison line is female (his Mother) will it still show the Y-DNA?
Also his Morrisons are from Barvas on Lewis, and immigrated to Canada. Is this the correct group for him? Thank you so much.
There are so many Morrisons it's hard to figure out his line of ancestors. His ancestor from Barvas is John Morrison born abt 1889, and there are many John's.
Any help would be appreciated.
Barb

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:19 am

Hi, Barb,
The groups in the Morrison DNA Project are assigned by the actual Y-DNA results, so a person does not receive a group assignment until results are in. To test for your friend's Morrison line, we would need a DNA sample from a male Morrison in his mother's line. This could be a brother of his mother or a male Morrison cousin of any degree. His own Y-DNA would be the Y-DNA of his father, so it would not provide any information on his Morrison descent.

Felix_W_Morrison+01

Post by Felix_W_Morrison+01 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:55 pm

As a Morrison I'm delighted to hear Group G has a possible link to the islands of Harris and Lewis. My Y-DNA Haplogroup is G-M201, and to date I have not had any matches to anyone named Morrison through the Family Tree DNA Morrison Project. I haven't given up hope at this point, but I am starting to wonder if some male in the family became a Morrison other than by lineage.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Felix, I'm glad to see you have tested your Y-DNA. Please note that Group G in the Morrison DNA Project is not the same as Haplogroup G. Haplogroup G is an ancient haplogroup that is rare in the British Isles. I suggest joining the "G-Uncategorized" project at FTDNA. This project will place you in your closest group of matches based on your haplogroup and can offer guidance for additional testing. You currently have no matches at 37 STR markers, but additional SNP testing can tell you which of your 25-marker STR matches and which of your SNP matches are your closest relatives.

Edwin