Which group?

General discussion.
cmwhite15

Which group?

Post by cmwhite15 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum, and am not sure how to find the group that my DNA is in. I read the descriptions of the groups, and think I would fit in Group M because my G-G-Grandfather was born in Co. Mayo, Ireland about 1825. So is that the group that my DNA is in?

In the DNA Family Group Pages for Group M, a post referred to being in the M222 group. I am in the M269 group and had only four matches, none of whom carried the Morrison surname. The closest was Morris.

Because Morrison is not a very typical Irish name, I have always thought that my Morrison ancestors originally came from Scotland to Northern Ireland and then moved to Co. Mayo. It took me 20 years to be able to locate the birthplace of my Youngstown, OH, great-grandfather, James Morrison, in Co. Mayo, and I am not confident of tracing it back any further.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

morrisondna

Re: Which group?

Post by morrisondna » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi, all Morrison DNA Project test results are listed by DNA test kit number (if one is available). The easiest way to find your group in the Morrison DNA Project is to go to http://www.geneticousins.com/morrison and click on the Results menu item. That brings up a spreadsheet that can be searched using the "Find" function on your computer.

If you have done a paternal Y-DNA test, just do a search on your kit number and it will take you to the right place in the spreadsheet. Once you find your results in the spreadsheet, you will see your closest matches on DNA STR markers as members of your same Morrison project group. Usually, these are your closest relatives in your paternal Morrison line. Each of the different groups in the Morrison project represents a distinct genetic line of Morrisons. You can look at the family history and early generations of others in your Morrison group to help your research on the origins of your own family and their paths of migration over the centuries.

Designations such as M269 and M222 refer to a different type of DNA test for mutations called SNPs. Results from SNP tests place you in a different type of group called a haplogroup. Often haplogroups can be predicted by STR marker results, and usually all Morrisons placed in the same Morrison DNA Project group will also be in the same haplogroup. However, actual SNP tests are needed to confirm haplogroup placement. Within the past couple of years, SNP testing has advanced to the point where it is possible to find SNPs that are unique even to particular branches of a family within a particular Morrison DNA Project group. There are now dedicated haplogroup projects to help guide researchers in selection of the right SNP tests for their particular line.

Edwin

cmwhite15

Post by cmwhite15 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for the information. I guess I will have to wait until more of my relatives choose to have their DNA tested. Since I am descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, is my thinking that my Morrison ancestors came from Scotland during the Plantation settling in the 1500s faulty?

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:36 pm

CM, Y-DNA tests are specific to the strictly paternal line, so your own test results would only be for your White paternal ancestry. If your Morrison ancestry is in a maternal line (i.e., not strictly paternal), then you would need to have male Morrison cousin test to learn which DNA group your Morrisons are in.

If you would like me to take a closer look at your own particular results, please join the Morrison project and I will get back to you.

Edwin