Using family finder

General discussion.
charmingbilly

Using family finder

Post by charmingbilly » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Hello,
My mother Alice was a Morrison, granddaughter of Enoch Morrison of Pennsylvania. I decided along the way to do the DNA testing. I chose the family finder and MTDNA tests along with the Y-DNA. The family finder is listing Morrisons and also a couple of Mcleods. I emailed and got a kind reply from one of the Mcleods. In it he stated that his family was from the Isle of Skye. I don't know if these McLeods are the same MacLeods from the Isle of Lewis. I am hopeful that one day I'll be able to find my family's ancestral home.

Scot1949

Re: Using family finder

Post by Scot1949 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:43 am

Welcome!

Have you heard from any of the Morrisons?

To answer your MacLeod Question:

The Leading Family in Clan MacLeod are the MacLeods of Dunvegan, in Skye, the chiefly family. There are, of course, many MacLeods from Skye who are not members of the chiefly family.

The MacLeods in Lewis were a subordinate branch; Their leading family was styled as MacLeod of Lewis and recognized the authority of MacLeod of Dunvegan.

It's a little known fact that when the MacKenzie Tutor of Kintail obtained letters of fire and sword against "the Lewwis Men" both the MacLeods of Lewis and the Morrisons of Ness were included.

Bob Morrison
Bob Morrison
Raleigh,NC, USA

morrisondna

Re: Using family finder

Post by morrisondna » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi, Charmingbilly...
Family Finder is great for finding relatives connected with in the past few generations. But for finding the ancestral home of your family, Y-DNA testing is the way to go. Y-DNA testing can find matches in your line over thousands of years. If you go to the General DNA section of this forum, you will see that there are now some inexpensive options available.
Edwin Holcombe
Administrator, Morrison DNA Project