New Member KenM Scott/Irish/Australian

General discussion.
KenM

New Member KenM Scott/Irish/Australian

Post by KenM » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 am

Hi all.
I am Kenneth John MORRISON and I have been trying to join for some time and finally success.
I am chasing my Irish relatives etc. from a Peter MORRIS/MORRISON b c 1770 Scott/Irish? d 1846 Coragh, Rathmoloyn, Co. Meath. Ireland. Our verbal family history said that a William? left Scotland due to family feuds and settled in Co. Meath, Ireland so I am assuming that his son is Peter MORRIS and Peters wife is Mary ?, Peter and Mary had 5 children, their 1st daughter Anne died an infant, 1st son my Richard and his family emigrated to Australia in 1850 and the family name was changed to MORRISON by his wife on Richards death in 1850. His sister Ann married a William GEE and they also emigrated to Van Diemans Land (Tasmania) in 1832, I have most of these two families well recorded. Another son I think went to USA Massachusetts, a Barnabas Morris and married a Bridget he may still be a MORRIS, the last daughter Jane married a Benjamin BRADY and may have remained in Ireland? Peter lost his first wife in 1824 and much later remarried Mary ALLEN who had 2 sons from her previous marriage. I have details of all these people along with a large family tree of my line, plus a separate tree for the famous Ardoch, Edinkillie Morayshire, Scotland, family as both the family's believed we were related but so far I have not found the link.
Any information would be a great help and if I can return any information please contact me. I have also had my FT-DNA done to Y-37. This seems to put me in Group N1, and am now having it upgraded to Y-67.

Many thanks Ken Morrison.

morrisondna

Re: New Member KenM Scott/Irish/Australian

Post by morrisondna » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Welcome, Ken. Group N is a large DNA group who have STR marker values that have been known as the Northwest Irish Modal Haplotype. Through migrations over the centuries, it is also found in the Lowlands of Scotland and the Western Isles in large numbers. Members of this group will test positive for SNP M222. The good news is that modern SNP testing makes it possible for you to find your particular branch of this group with high resolution. This can be done either through Big Y testing, which is still rather expensive, or through testing of comprehensive SNP panels designed especially for this group.

KenM

Post by KenM » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:13 am

:? Thanks for the reply as you may know, I have had the RM 222 snip done and it is positive. I also had the Y-67 done to improve marches but, I am still not that much closer to understanding it all. Time will help as I try to make sense out these mutations. I am trying to talk another family member from a distant gg uncle to get there Y-DNA done, I hope it will be a close match.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Ken, FTDNA now offers a package of 66 SNPs downstream of M222. Since you know you are M222+ and have many STR matches, finding your place on this SNP descendancy tree is a much more definitive way of finding your closest paternal relatives than the standard STR testing. I would recommend considering the new M222 SNP package. Current cost is $119, but discount coupons are often available to reduce the cost.

Edwin

KenM

Post by KenM » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:28 am

Edwin- re RM222 snips I have just ordered a full RM222 snip test around 100 snips so this should help.
Another question is where is there information on DNA mutations, and which are the common ones that could be ignored, ie I have a 12 for 531 general close matches are 11, and other close matches have this also, ie 442 and 460 are also out by 1.
Happy new year to all.
Thanks Ken M

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Ken, there are no STR mutations that should be ignored. However, there are some mutations that are rarer than others, and sharing a rare mutation with someone else is considered more significant than sharing a common mutation. The best way to narrow down your STR matches is through testing of additional markers. Once enough STR markers have been tested to determine a probable haplogroup, SNP testing should be considered as the next step to refining matches.

KenM

Post by KenM » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 am

Edwin - re snips, They have arrived and my haplo-group has changed to R-BY3347 with several + snips S658, S588, DF109, DF105, BY3347. and the rest were negative so I am not sure where to go from here as the snip map found no matches, the close ones on the Morrison tree are Gilmore's but still a few steps away. Guess I will have to wait until more people join up. Guess I had better chase up my distant cousin and see where he is at. Are there groups for these smaller haplogroups??. I will keep searching. Thanks again for all your help in the past. Ken M.

morrisondna

Post by morrisondna » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 pm

Ken - There are a good number of S588+ results in the M222 project and they would be your closest known SNP cousins so far, though the connection may be up to 1850 years ago according to YFull. I cannot see your placement on the M222 website due to your privacy settings restricting that to M222 project members. I am not clear how recent BY3347 is. If it is not a very recent SNP, you would expect some of your closest STR matches to be positive for it. Comparison of your STR results with other S588+ members of M222 may reveal an STR mutation that you have that is shared by only a few other S588's. Those S588's who share unusual STR values with you would be good candidates for testing BY3347. Finding these other BY3347+ folks in this manner may narrow down your matches to a few surnames or a smaller geographic location. M222 admins might help with this until there are enough close cousins for a new project to focus on the smaller haplogroups.

Edwin