Welcome, Cousins

Pennsylvania and North Carolina
crmorrison

Welcome, Cousins

Post by crmorrison » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:53 am

Welcome, my name is Charles, and I am the first of us to be identified as Group B. Recently, I expanded my markers from 67 to 111, anticipating that we may want to refine the degree of distance between us in future. I confess that FTDNA's end of year sale had an influence on that decision.
My brother has in the past 40 years pretty well traced most male Morrisons and their affines from Neill the Signer. When the second Group B member was identified, Cousin Tim, his connection was quickly identified, and so it was for several years, just the two of us. Now we are five. I think that a really good thing for us to do is to provide our genealogies for the Group B sub forum (that's us), and when we get our connections worked out, move the information onto the bulletin board forum and see what the cat drags in.
For example, at the moment, we know when James and Neill were in New Castle environs because they both married Johnstons, mother and daughter there. Obviously, James was previously married: he may have had other sons or brothers in the Philadelphia-new Castle orbit in the mid-18th century, but we cannot yet identify the line outside of our little group. The current narrative is confined to the North Carolina and subsequent events, but as Ted's line from TN to IA, shows, we have a science but no genealogy. Let's systematically share information and see if we can get a coherent picture. Standing by.

mercur81

Re: Welcome, Cousins

Post by mercur81 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:02 am

Hi Charles -- I've got New Castle County, DE ancestors. I'm in Group L though. My 2nd great grandfather is Robert Morrison http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=22585744

There is another bunch of Morrisons in New Castle. They are described in the Leonard Allison Morrison book "History of Morrison or Morison" as the Delaware Branch of Morrisons. I've got them in my family tree. They are connected by marriage. I've been unable to find a living male Morrison in the line for Y-DNA test. Does this line connect to yours? http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... n&id=I6091

Rich Morrison

crmorrison

Re: Welcome, Cousins

Post by crmorrison » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:29 am

Rich,

Good to hear from you. I don't think we have a direct line, at least in the colonies. Unfortuately, my little group B does not seen to have relations in the surname project. I have done a bit of Internet research about N. DE and S. PA, but as you know, People named James Morrison are pretty thick on the ground. The documented New Castle connection at this time is solely the second marrriage to a widow Johnston and at the same time his son, Neill, to the daughter Johnston. These are the nucleus for the move to Mecklenburg county NC in 1772. There may have been some relations named Morrison in the area, but we have not found them in online searches. Not sure how close Group L is to Group B, but it is probably in terms of centuries.

morrisondna

Morrisons of Newcastle and Mecklenburg

Post by morrisondna » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Newcastle, Delaware, was a major port of immigration for Scots-Irish in the 1700s. Charles Bolton's book Scotch Irish Pioneers says that Philadelphia, Newcastle, and Charleston were "swarming" with Scots-Irish immigrants. Many of those from Newcastle went to Pennsylvania and from there on down the Great Wagon Road to places like Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. My own Group F Morrisons did not live at Newcastle or Philadelphia, but they had relations there. They settled first in South Central Pennsylvania, then Baltimore, and later made their way down through Mecklenburg County to Charleston. The Scots-Irish were very mobile people in the early years.