Leonard Book DNA Group Matches

jeddymo

Leonard Book DNA Group Matches

Post by jeddymo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:42 am

Hello everyone,
Several years ago, I attached many of the Morrisons from the Leonard book to DNA groups. But there were several Morrisons in the book at that time not matched with a specific DNA group. I am looking to update the following:
Pages 75-272 John 1628 Group L
Pages 274-287 Charter Robert No match
Pages 288-293 Samuel Jr. to NH No match
Page 293/389-393 Hugh Nottingham, NH Group A
Pages 295-388 Charter Samuel Group A
Page 395 Robert Brentwood NH No match
Page 396 Sanbornton NH Morrisons No match
Page 399 Virginia Morrisons No Match
Page 402 Gabriel PA 1740 No match
Page 418 John Bucks County PA Group U
Page 420 Robert Delaware Morrisons No Match

I'm sure there are new matches, and please correct any mistakes. Being able to identify Morrisons not in a direct line is very helpful.
Jim Morrison of Group C

morrisondna

Re: Leonard Book DNA Group Matches

Post by morrisondna » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Jim, check out Group L for 402 and 420. Group L may not be a proven connection for 420, but at least is a good candidate.

We can assume that most of the Scots-Irish Morrisons mentioned in LAM's book were Lowland families, so that to some degree eliminates the DNA groups in the project who are clearly Highland families.

For the other unplaced families, the names given to first generation children are good clues to their possible origins. Scots-Irish given names seem to have come from a fairly small pool of mostly Biblical names and a few others. Other given names may indicate native Irish or English origins for a particular family.

I agree with your comment that identifying Morrisons not in a direct line is very helpful. But one problem is that Londonderry, Coleraine, and Belfast were to some degree melting pots of Lowland Morrisons. If a family can be traced to a settlement area outside the cities, research into the history of that settlement and its proprietors can point to a geographic origin in Scotland.

Edwin