Lost Morrison's

Lost Morrison's

Postby MAC1NZ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 am

Hi every one I guess like all other Morrisons searching we all have one thing in common the name Morrison. So this is my story so far ,I was born in 1955 in Christchurch New Zealand and adopted at birth, I found my birth mother many years ago and have just found my father 6 months ago, yes he is still alive and in good health for his age(84), but like me he is stuck on how far back we can go in the family tree.
Our oldest known ancestor is a Joseph Morrison B.1809? in Ballybryan road County Down D.1863, he married a Sarah.......(morrison) on the 21/07/1854 in Greyabby N.I I have done my DNA at FTDNA to 111 markers and the closest matchers at 111 markers are a McGowan at a gd of 5 and a McDowell at a gd of 9, at 67 markers McGowan again at a gd of 4 and a McGarry at a gd of 7, the only Morrison is at a gd of 3 at 37 markers. There are lorts of other matchers 200 plus at lower markers 12&25 markers but I do not think that they are close enough to even be cousins (1,2,3). I am hoping that someone here has some info pre 1809 about my line of Morrison's it seems that every line I try ends in a brick wall, I have planned to visit Northern Ireland in about 3 years so it would be nice to know where my line started or as close as can be found. thanking anybody that can help.

Kindest Regards

Michael Crighton (Morrison)
MAC1NZ

Re: Lost Morrison's

Postby morrisondna » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Michael, SNP testing is really the key to finding your most closely related matches. Your SNP matches are probably the surest way of finding the seat of your Morrison line. You have a 37-marker match with a Morrison who is R-M222 and a 25-marker match with a McGowen who has tested as R-DF109 (which is downstream of M222). Since you have a 111-marker match with another McGowan, this is significant. These are good clues. I suggest contacting the admins of the M222 project at FTDNA for guidance on the best SNP test for you based on your STR results. Depending on the degree of SNP testing done by your closest matches, you may be able to estimate how many years back these other lines are connected to yours. That would be a good basis for further research.
Edwin
morrisondna

Re: Lost Morrison's

Postby MAC1NZ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 am

Thank you Edwin for the infomation I will speek to the M222 admins

Regards Michael Crighton (morrison)
MAC1NZ

Return to Genealogy