Morrisons of Cape Breton - Having trouble

Morrisons of Cape Breton - Having trouble

Postby Dave Hatch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

My grandmother was Annie Christine Morrison (married name: Uhlman) who emigrated to Newton, MA. Her parents were Stephen and Mary (Gillis) Morrison. Stephen lived from 1851(or 2) to 1933 and died in Sydney River. I believe his parents were Angus and Mary (MacMullin or McMullin) both of Scotland before moving to Nova Scotia. I also believe that Angus was from the Isle of Lewis. I cannot get any further in my research. Does anyone have any information on my Morrisons?

Thank you!
Dave Hatch

Re: Morrisons of Cape Breton - Having trouble

Postby CapeBretonMorrison » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Dave - I also have Morrisons from Cape Breton, but none from the Sydney area (that I know about). All my Morrisons are from Inverness County.

If you come across any Inverness County connections I'd appreciate anything you can share. I will do the same if I find any Sydney River connections.

Cheers.
CapeBretonMorrison

Postby rjrockrj » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm trying to hunt down a family member's birth family - unfortunately it's all stories passed down and it was all very secretive. The best I can assume (based on what I've been told), my family member's birth mother is Ann Morrison from Halifax (but I believe this Morrison line is from Baddeck), married to Angus T Johnston (who we assume is not the birth father). Angus died in 2010, and Ann died prior to that time. My family member was born in 1948 and grew up in Sydney with the Sheppards. I cannot find *any* information on this particular Ann Morrison - not even an obituary. There might be a cousin connection between Ann Morrison and the McKenzies (Catherine, or Chaud, McKenzie married to Dr. George Sheppard in PEI). If anybody knows anything about this I would greatly welcome some insight!
rjrockrj

Postby morrisondna » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:26 am

An autosomal DNA for the family member would be a good tool to provide some clues.
morrisondna

Return to Genealogy