Morrison Crest

Morrison Crest

Postby Andy Morrison88 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 am

Greetings. My name is Andy Morrison, I live just outside Glasgow, Scotland.
As a child I remember having a white ceramic tile emblazoned with what I was told by my father to be the Morrison crest. Said tile was then broken and lost.
Years later when looking for the same crest online I could never find it but instead found only the standard results on google.
I finally found the crest and was wondering if anyone had information on its authenticity, origin, place in terms of the clan history etc.
Many thanks,

Andrew
Attachments
WP_20160604_18_20_29_Pro.jpg
The crest I knew as a child
Andy Morrison88

Re: Morrison Crest

Postby ambladier » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Andy,

That is a rendition of the chief's coat of arms/amorial achievement. (The crest is just the part on top of the helmet)
You can read a transcription of the letters patent here: http://clanmorrison.net/public_html/chief.htm
Their contents should answer many of your questions. Any that it doesn't, feel free to ask.

Regards
Chris
Chris Gillmore
ambladier
Site Admin

Location: Atlanta, Ga area, within the Occupied Territories of the Confederate States of America

Postby Andy Morrison88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:17 am

Chris,

Thanks for the information. This certainly answers my question. I'm glad I now know the genesis of the crest as I was planning on getting it as a tattoo.
As this is the Chiefs' personal crest I may now reconsider this or perhaps have one mixed with this crest and elements of the Buchanan arms, my mothers family, created as a possible design.
I also have to find out why we had the crest on the first place. It was in my parents house circa 1993. I must ask...

Thanks again,

Andy
Andy Morrison88

Postby ambladier » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Any time. Also though, seeing as how you're in Scotland, instead of mixing elements of two coats of arms, why not just petition Lyon to get your own coat of arms? ;)
Chris Gillmore
ambladier
Site Admin

Location: Atlanta, Ga area, within the Occupied Territories of the Confederate States of America

Postby morrisondna » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Andy Morrison88 wrote:Chris,

Thanks for the information. This certainly answers my question. I'm glad I now know the genesis of the crest as I was planning on getting it as a tattoo.
As this is the Chiefs' personal crest I may now reconsider this or perhaps have one mixed with this crest and elements of the Buchanan arms, my mothers family, created as a possible design.
I also have to find out why we had the crest on the first place. It was in my parents house circa 1993. I must ask...

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy, where are your Morrisons from?

Edwin
morrisondna

Postby Andy Morrison88 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

If I have a spare couple of thousand pounds lying around I might get my own coat of arms!

I'm not sure where my Morrisons are from historically. My paternal grandfather comes from the Gartcosh/Moodiesburn area which is North Glasgow. Further back than that I am unsure. I'll need to do some research when I have time.
Also interestingly, there's a rumour in the family which came from my paternal grandfather that we are related to the Pinkertons of detective agency fame. Grandfathers' grandmother was a Pinkerton or some such. Whether its true or not I have no idea!

Andy
Andy Morrison88

Return to Heraldry