King Olaf the Black

King Olaf the Black

Postby Andy Morrison88 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Greetings fellow Morrison,

So I've been brought up with the story that we are descended from Olaf the Black and I've always wondered if this is true or one of these tales that has just manifested through the mists of time.
Another example, my mother's maiden name is Buchanan and apparently Sir Alexander Buchanan killed the Duke of Clarence at the Battle of Bauge and held his ducal coronet aloft in triumph which is why the Buchanan crest has the ducal cap at the top.
Any thoughts?

Andrew Morrison
Andy Morrison88

Re: King Olaf the Black

Postby morrisondna » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

Andrew, check out this link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=txBBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=oilmoir&source=bl&ots=Lg07y4LzbI&sig=0hvtixJk0dMnUFspCwRVlGIhksU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip8rnM0evZAhUI2FMKHR85DLQQ6AEISzAK#v=onepage&q=oilmoir&f=false

We have found through the Morrison DNA Project that the name Morrison has many different origins in different parts of Scotland. A Y-DNA test is needed to determine which paternal line a particular Morrison stems from.

Edwin
morrisondna

Postby Andy Morrison88 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Which genetic system would you suggest in terms of putting my DNA forward to figure my lineage?

Andrew Morrison
Andy Morrison88

Postby morrisondna » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:24 am

Y-DNA testing is the way to determine paternal lineage. Most people start with a 37-marker STR test and follow up with SNP testing, which is more definitive.
morrisondna

Return to History