Morrisons who emigrated to Nova Scotia

Morrisons who emigrated to Nova Scotia

Postby JMH324 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 pm

My mother's family is Morrison. They emigrated to Nova Scotia (Cape Breton), possibly in the early 1800s, but I am not certain of the date. Family historians are all deceased. My mother was orphaned as a child so had little information to give me. She too is deceased. This is what I know: the Morrisons I can trace are were resident in Baddeck, Nova Scotia and were RCs. ANGUS (my GGGF) married Christy MacLeod. Their son RODERICK (my GGF) married Catherine MacLean. Their son JOHN ANGUS (my GF) married Betsy Jane Campbell in 1900 in Baddeck. Their children were Mary, Catherine and Anne (my mother). In particular, I would like to find out which part of Scotland the family came from. I recognize that the information I have is not very specific, but any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.
JMH324

Re: Morrisons who emigrated to Nova Scotia

Postby morrisondna » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:03 pm

It would be good to read up on the migration history from Scotland to Nova Scotia. The given names in your Morrison family indicate they came from a Gaelic-speaking area of Scotland and the Roman Catholic status may help you narrow it down further. At first glance, the Western Isles of Scotland seem likely, but further research is needed to confirm that and to narrow down the location. DNA testing of a Morrison cousin is a good way to pursue this.
morrisondna

Postby iainmmorrison1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:08 am

Hi, noticed your post re Morrisons who emigrated to Nova Scotia around 1800. Not sure if this will help but it may give you a starting point. As you are probably aware the name Morrison has several origins, some of which are connected, others appear to be from a different lineage. Morrison is a well known surname in the Outer Hebrides with their stronghold being in Harris/Lewis consisting of two related families springing from the same origin, hence the two different clan mottos.
Teaghlach Phabbay (Pabbay) which means the family from Phabbay, Phabbay is a small island (now uninhabited) bewtween the islands of Harris and North Uist. Dun Eistein is the name of a fort associated with the Morrisons at the Butt of Lewis. Despite their names Harris and Lewis are not two seperate islands but are in fact one island, the south being Harris and the north Lewis. The Morrisons of Harris and Lewis are Protestant whilst the Morrisons of Barra, North Uist and South Uist are predominately Catholic. Despite the religious differences I think it is safe to assume given their Gaelic speaking heritage, their remoteness from the mainland of Scotland and the fact the family name originates from Phabbay which sits between North Uist and Harris, that the Morrisons of the Outer Hebrides or Western Isles all come from the same stock. My own family originates from Scalpay which is a small isle of the coast of Harris, my father lived their for part of his childhood and is a native Gaelic speaker. His father was a Protestant minister married to a Campbell. Given what you know of your family I would guess that if they originate from the Hebrides (Their forenames are commonplace amongst Gaelic speakers) and being Catholic then they probably originate from Southernmost of the Outer Hebrides, such as Barra and North and South Uist where their are many Morrisons. Not sure what records the Catholic church there would keep but it may be a good starting point. (This doesn't preclude your origins coming from elsewhere...Northern Ireland, both Catholic and Protestant Morrisons, and the south of Ireland). The period you mention of the 1800's is interesting in that it sits in the middle of the the Highland Clearances when many Landowners either moved their tentants to the coast or kicked them off the land completely to make way for more profitable sheep! Whist the greatest effect was felt on the Highland mainland it also reached the outer islands when many of the 'crofters' were evicted or their lives made so intolerable they were forced to move on. During this period many were forced to or chose emigration as a means of survival. The following links may be useful http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/index.htm this includes links to ships that sailed from Scotland to Canada in the late 17th and early 19th Century, and http://www.virtualhebrides.com/index.htm this covers both modern and historical Hebridean information.
Hope this was not too longwinded and might be of some assistance. Welcome to the Clan.

Regards
Iain Morrison
iainmmorrison1

Postby morrich » Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 pm

The parents of Catherine MacLean 1839-1919 were Roderick Maclean and Ann MacIntyre of Washabuck, Cape Breton. They emigrated from Barra, South Uist. It is possible that Angus Morrison came from the hebrides.
morrich

Postby woodman10 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:31 am

Hello .My Grand mother Anne Morrison is your grandfathers ( John Angus Morrison) sister .I do have some information on the family but not much
woodman10

Postby CapeBretonMorrison » Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 pm

JMH324 wrote:This is what I know: the Morrisons I can trace are were resident in Baddeck, Nova Scotia and were RCs. ANGUS (my GGGF) married Christy MacLeod. Their son RODERICK (my GGF) married Catherine MacLean. Their son JOHN ANGUS (my GF) married Betsy Jane Campbell in 1900 in Baddeck.

My Morrison settled in Whycocomagh, about 30-40km south of Baddeck. They were from North Uist and arrived in the area around 1833. I don't have any known connections to Baddeck, but anything is possible. However, 'my' Morrisons were Protestant so they probably weren't related.
CapeBretonMorrison

Postby rjrockrj » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm trying to hunt down a family member's birth family - unfortunately it's all stories passed down and it was all very secretive. The best I can assume (based on what I've been told), my family member's birth mother is Ann Morrison from Halifax, married to Angus T Johnston (who we assume is not the birth father). Angus died in 2010, and Ann died prior to that time. My family member was born in 1948 and grew up in Sydney with the Sheppards. I cannot find *any* information on this particular Ann Morrison - not even an obituary. There might be a cousin connection between Ann Morrison and the McKenzies (Catherine, or Chaud, McKenzie married to Dr. George Sheppard in PEI). If anybody knows anything about this I would greatly welcome some insight!
rjrockrj

Postby woodman10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 am

Hello Our Anne Morrison was born around 1865 Baddeck ,Married in Halifax 1895 died in Halifax 1957. She had a niece her brothers daughter. Mary was born in 1900 Baddeck who married a Sheppard 1920 or 1926 and lived in Sydney NS. This is far from your dates I'll check and see if I can find t a Anne living with them
woodman10

Return to Genealogy