What Tartan in 1780?

General discussion.

What Tartan in 1780?

Postby JohnnyReb60 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

I am a descendant of James Gilmore, son of Francis Gilmore, presumed to be the immigrant in my line. James Gilmore fought in the American Revolution as part of the North Carolina Militia, serving at least 6 tours of duty. He was captured at the Siege of Charleston and we have a copy of his British parole. He appears to have served with the NC Light Dragoons in that tour and held the rank of sergeant.

I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution and I am part of the color guard.

For Georgia members of the SAR, we are permitted to wear the great kilt. This is because a requisition for uniforms from Georgia was presented to the Continental Congress, and some of the Georgia troops requested highland gear as uniforms, including tartan cloth for kilts. I believe that Georgia is the only state known to have fielded troops to fight for independence wearing highland dress.

It would not be correct for me to wear highland dress as a member of a North Carolina unit - but as a Georgian - I can. So I would like to wear a tartan appropriate to my clan in honor of my ancestor, even though he was in a North Carolina unit.

But in 1780, which is the time period in question for most of the engagements in Georgia, what tartan would a Morrison wear? I do not believe that modern tartan for the Morrisons had been invented yet, and the ancient Morrison was still lost. Would a Morrison (Gilmore) in 1780 wear the McKay tartan?
JohnnyReb60

Re: What Tartan in 1780?

Postby ambladier » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I seriously doubt he'd have worn a "clan" tartan, or possibly any tartan at all considering the act prohibiting the wearing of highland attire was still in effect. If he did wear any, it'd most likely have simply been something locally produced that he liked and/or could afford.
Chris Gillmore
ambladier
Site Admin

Location: Atlanta, Ga area, within the Occupied Territories of the Confederate States of America

Return to General